Thursday, January 15, 2015

Put a ring on it!

I love my husband, my family, friends and my cats, Mackie and Scooter.  That's a given.  But I also love art, jewelry and...ORGANIZATION.  These are my favorite things in the world.  My love for organization seeps into all of my other passions...especially my accessory collection.

Here is a little organization trick that costs less than $1.30....shower curtain rings...more on that in a minute.

When we first moved into our new place I had a new closet to organize...challenge accepted!  (BTW, I love to organize a closet just about as much as I love working on my daily art...true story)  

My goals for closet organization are always...

1) Maximize space...especially vertical space
2) Create something that is visually pleasing
3) Make sure things are easy to find
4)...make it happen for super cheap!

I had previously had my scarves in a small white clothes basket...and that didn't work out.  It was tough to find what I wanted, and it made me feel all crazy.  Then I changed to three canvas bins, separated by warm, cool and neutral colors.  This was a little better.

In the new closet there was a space above my jewelry shelf that was just kind of dead space.  Like many folks out there, my closet has the white wire structure already built in...so I started thinking, why not activate that space and make it useful?  So I bought some clear plastic shower cutain rings from Target ($1.30, with tax at Target) and started hanging.  The scarves are in two layers, from front to back and are in color order for the most part.  I had some room on the end for hanging belts, too!


One area that has bothered me since I started organizing the new closet- the tank top area.  I had them folded in color order and they only took up one shelf but anytime I wanted to take on out I had to either mess up the folded pile or lift the entire thing up to get the one I wanted and then try to place it back neatly...'cause I don't want to mess up the colors, right?  (...right?!  Am I the only crazy one out there?!)  I found the perfect solution on Pinterest and wouldn't ya know it- shower curtain rings were the fix!  So back to Target for shower curtain rings, then to a local dollar store for the black hanger (I went with a metal based hanger so it wouldn't bend/break from the weight of the tank tops) The total cost for me was less than $10. Then I just sorted them by color and hung them up. Original I had them on three separate hangers (warm, cool, neutral) but they would kind of shift and be all lop-sided so I combined warm and cool together.

Now I have an empty shelf to work with and it is so much easier to select a tank top and take it out of the closet.



I was thinking...a few extra shower curtain rings in the bathroom would be an easy way to quickly transport jewelry back and forth.  I always take off my jewelry when I come home...the 'drop zones' can get a little crazy (I did add small hooks in each bathroom just for this purpose) but by putting the necklaces in shower curtain rings it makes it easy to take them back to the closet area to put away.

Organization makes me happy.  If you also feel the same, here is some 'organization crack' for you.  Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment